I was really looking forward to this panel discussion. Unfortunately, it was disappointing, for the most part.
Here’s the official billing:
One of the biggest challenges that remain is managing data in the cloud. While the need for database scalability, reliability and performance has always been an issue in computing, the cloud introduces new challenges such as elasticity, geographic distribution and multi-tenancy. It has become a breeding ground for a wave of new solutions, including database-as-a-service offerings. In this session, we will engage in a discussion with some of these cutting-edge companies. We’ll define what is a “true” cloud database is and explore the unique challenges of managing data in a cloud environment.
Geva Perry – Cloud Strategy and Marketing Advisor, Blogger, Thinking Out Cloud
- Mike Miller – Founder and Chief Scientist, Cloudant
- Razi Sharir – CEO, Xeround
- Jim Starkey – CTO, NimbusDB
- Barry Zane – CTO, ParAccel
- Yawn. No fireworks, at all. Come on guys, mix it up a bit, make things memorable!
- Geva Perry was well-prepared and did a nice job as the moderator.
- Mike Miller came off as the smartest guy on the panel, in my opinion.
Judge for yourself. Please let me know if you disagree with my opinion.
[Cross-posted at The Cloud View]